Kalyan Varma

Leopard finally at BR hills

Leopard from BR Hills (click on image for bigger version)

After more than a year, I finally had an excellent sighting of a leopard and that too at my home forest of BR hills. We got there on saturday evening and got to see one for 20 min right outside the park. On sunday morning, we got a glimpse of this fellow on a tree on the morning safari. A very fruitful trip to BR hills.

50 Responses to “Leopard finally at BR hills”

1. Anonymous says:

Beautiful ..

Its just amazing as the Leopard just looks into your eyes … Excellent …

Hari ..

2. dearchichi says:

Wow! That’s a smashing image. Did you see this on the regular game route, or along one of the guard routes?

3. admin says:

It was from the regular jeep safari.

4. Anonymous says:

Abs superb snap!! Such a rare sighting!! Very neatly captured.

5. Anonymous says:

eyes

Look at those eyes. Fantastic.

6. Anonymous says:

Awesome…

Great shot there Kalyan!!

Naveen – http://naveenroy.blogspot.com

7. Anonymous says:

Awesome photo

Kalyan, awesome photograph. Love those majestic looks of the leopard.

Prashant

8. Anonymous says:

What equipment. I assume Nikon D200 200-400 F4 VR

9. admin says:

Yep ofcourse :) Without the TC as well.

10. deponti says:

Oh wow!

so you finally made it to BRHills after a long gap!

I got excellent sightings of the leopard in Tanzania..but just ONE extremely useless shot! But since I am not you, I am going to post it to LJ!

11. wow! Excellent image…
    It looks rather small. Are leopards only this size ? for agility ?

12. raghav says:

Mind blowing shot mate… and what luck, the leopard so perfectly posied it makes such a great picture. And there is a small black spot above the leopard to the right, sensor dust or environment? Anyways this replaces my current wallpaper…

13. code_martial says:

Cool gear! The photo is awesomely sharp, too. Loved it!

14. Anonymous says:

Bldy sh_t, this is *such* an amazing shot … !!

15. noelladsa says:

I can’t help but think it looks like such a pussy cat

16. chaibacca says:

Another great one

Awesome photo — nice composition with the mossy branch. It must have made it somewhat slippery… good thing cats have claws.

17. ebony_nivory says:

Brilliant shot! The leopard’s glare is penetrating

18. raghav says:

Okay… if so, g’luck finding those two large cats :p
    And do drop me a line when you do :)

19. ashbirder says:

A beauty..wonderful luck to see it.

20. Anonymous says:

This is an excellent photograph! Leopards are such elusive creatures and it’s really difficult to get such a clear picture of one. You’re very, very lucky!

21. aquaman_112 says:

WoW

thats really amazing to actually waking up and starting your day off like that. Hey Kalyan, did you recieve my e-mails?! -Thanh-

22. premkudva says:

Wow! The fellow is looking at you.

23. premkudva says:

PS: Can I have a larger image please:-) To my GMail address.

24. wild_guy says:

Leopard from BR Hills

Awesome shot. Even I was lucky to spot a leopard in BR Hills and that too in the night. We were coming back from the safari and heading towards the lodge when I saw a pair of eyes glisten against the headlights. Something within me told me itz not another deer and we went back. The leopard was right besides the road…around 10-12 feet away from our jeep. The leopard was there for a cool 10 mins and stealthily as if in a slow motion vanished. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get any good shot of the cat.

-Krish

25. Anonymous says:

Re: Leopard from BR Hills

Fantastic image Kalyan! BRT rocks! Was the trip part of BBC doc?

-Pramod.

26. dhempe says:

same wid me. thanks! :) wanna make it my wallpaper :)

27. wild_guy says:

Must See – Battle at Kruger

A pride of lioness attacks a herd of buffaloes, separates out a calf which is thrown into the water. Then there is a tug of war between the lionesses and 2 crocodiles and…what happens next is sure to sweep you off your feet…check out more for yourself!

Cheers!
    -Krish

28. azooey says:

Nice pic! I’m in Bangalore this weekend; thought I’d drop a line just in case…

29. Anonymous says:

I came toyour blog thru brokentooth’s blog.I have to say that it is a really good shot and you do some awesome work. It almost like the leopard is observing you.

Keep up the good work!

sarika

30. wild_guy says:

Tiger vanishes in India’s best tiger reserve

It is really shocking to know that there are only 4-5 tigers left in Panna Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh.

What can be done to contain poaching? Our neighbors have a great penchant for tiger meat, skin and claws…itz a pity that the future generations would see Tiger only on Paper and TV!

-Krish

31. Anonymous says:

mindblowing …

32. Anonymous says:

Great to see a well fed leopard.Perfect expression captured.good photograph.Btwn, what time was the sighting?

33. Anonymous says:

WOW!!!! Awesome:)
    Its just amazing…
    r u a professional photographer?
    grt i have some interest in wildlife too but no info on such adventures and avenues

–Vijay
    xijaysai.blogspot.com

34. bijoyv says:

BR Hills – need travel advice

Hi Kalyan,
    I haven’t been on LJ much for about three years now but forgive me for the intrusion. My birder friends and I want to make a weekend trip to BR Hills in Feb. The plan is to stay for one night and spend one and a half days birding. Other than Jungle Lodges (which is beyond budget and not quite the experience I am seeking), what’s the next best alternative for acco? Also, since my ‘safari’ experience at Bandipur and Muthodi have not been quite pleasant thanks to the corruptible forest staff, I want to know if you could recommend a local guide or forest guard we can get in touch with who can help us have a good experience – hopefully not one limited to birding. Hope this is isn’t too much trouble.
    best,
    Bijoy

35. Anonymous says:

Hi Kalyan,

Thats an awesome shot!!! I’m a student of photography at the Light and Life Academy, Ooty and we are just about to start our specialisations in March. I’ve opted for wildlife, nature and travel and your work is truly inspiring, as also your story. Sounds familiar because I’m a lawyer by profession and I quit my high paying job to study photography :)

I was wondering if you could give me some guidance on which areas would be good for wildlife in South India. I read on your wbsite that you used to work as a naturalist at BR Hills. What would be the procedure, etc for staying there for a week and for taking photographs? Any other suggestions regarding locations for wildlife photography in the South are most welcome.

My email id is: khushimishra@yahoo.com

Just today we went for a short wildlife trek to Masinagudi. It was my first encounter in the jungle and though we didn’t sight too many animals…just walking through the jungle in the early morning light, hearing the jungle sounds and watching out for any signs of animal movement gave me a natural high. I would really like to make the most of the time we have for our specialisation and any guidance from your end would be really appreciated.

Thanks a tonne!

Regards,
    Khushi

36. poige says:

Wow-photo :)

Really :-)

37. Anonymous says:

Fantstic!

This is one of the best leapord pictures I’ve ever seen! I particularly like the fact that you have captured it in a posture that suggests he could jump off and vanish at the slightest hint of danger.

38. Anonymous says:

Beautiful !

Wow, nice pic !
    Can I use it for a graphic contest?

39. monytohyk says:

/Håkan pstevenin As promised some photos : The gear with the viewfinder : Does not fit a shirt pocket, but okay in a vest (wallet) inside pocket.

40. heidelopixy says:

41. candycugiz says:

In the compact class it is rare to have cars with standard 4-wheel discs and ABS. Competitive Powertrain Specifications Elantra uses an upgraded 2.

42. juliesinuc says:

( ID ) Posted on reply to Hakushaku’s comment qingy in center of the galaxy SMS Registered on my current wallpaper is the Chouginga Gurren Lagann, i’m known to change my wallpapers on a whim.

43. deponti says:

Oh, oh, that sounds ominous…hope things improve soon….